The Solid State

I’ve been drooling at SSDs ever since they came out to the market. Two things stopped me from buying them. First was the price and the second is the unavailability of the drives in SL. I remember Anusha and Gayan imported two Intel SSDs. I had more dire needs at that time than installing an SSD into the PC.

But last week Podi mama said he’s coming from USA to SL. So he asked me at the last minute whether I needed anything transported Open-mouthed smile 

Gave me a dizzy feeling trying to remember something that was light enough for him to bring and something that I could not buy here. After a rigurous search for five minutes (yeah, you read right, that’s what I meant by “last minute”! Confused smile) I got the Samsung 470 series SSDs.

The cheapest was $130 which was 64G. So I went for that since I don’t have much cash for PC hardware! Besides, I wont need a bigger SSD since I don’t have enough RAM to disable the pagefile and pagefiles on SSDs are not a good config.

So he bought this for me from FRYS.com.

ssd1

The looks of the drive are great.

ssd2

ssd3

Had to do some software juggling with BIOS to initialize the drive. The same thing that I had to do when I got the new 500G Samsung.

But performance wise, I don’t see any major improvement! Why? This is why;

SSD_Effect

SSD_Effect

These guys are slowing me down. Add to that the pagefile in the older drive, you get one sluggish system. So I fear that I’d go for a processor upgrade. It’ll happen if I manage to do two things;

One is to upgrade the BIOS. Yes. Shitcon (aka Foxconn) has a new BIOS updated in their site. It boasts 4G RAM support. If I manage to install the BIOS (which I think wouldn’t be much of an issue) and get another 2G DDR2 RAM from someone and test, I’d be able to verify the 2G+ support.

The second is to sell the existing processor and RAM! I have only 2 RAM slots, so if I get a good offer from someone for the stuff, I’d certainly upgrade.

Ah…almost forgot. The drive labelled “MASCOT”, a present from Madhawa aiya is now a valid data transportation device rather than a Readyboost Drive. Check this out;

SSD_Effect2

Hope this drive continues to satisfy me! Enough for now. Just installed Live writer and Windows is bugging me to restart! I sneaked in to write this post. Theoratically this post should not upload Winking smile.

Posted in Labels: , , , , , |

12 comments:

  1. Anusha Says:

    it's about time! :D
    congrats

  2. Anusha Says:

    buy my CPU and mobo when i come back :P

  3. Tharaka Devinda Says:

    when? or IF?

  4. Chamitha Says:

    Buy it or find him a buyer, else the poor guy will have to give it away free for his girlfriends brother...

  5. Mahen Says:

    When did anusha and Gayan import Intel SSDs ? :P

  6. GayanNR Says:

    @Mahen
    ekekge udawwen thamai api genna gaththe :P

  7. Tharaka Devinda Says:

    @Mahen, Gayan: is there anything I'm missing? as I remember correctly mahen was the mail man, right?

  8. Mahen Says:

    Ea unaata eewa Kingston ne :P

  9. Anusha Says:

    @Tharaka
    Of course I am coming back to SL at the end of the contract period. But before that, I have to come back in January ne. :D

    @Chamitha
    No, he shall not have this. I will give it to my dad or my cousin.

    @Mahen
    who said either of us imported SSDs??

  10. Mahen Says:

    haiyoz that wasnt the question -.- . I dont recall you guys were using intel SSDs :\

  11. GayanNR Says:

    @Mahen
    They were re-badged Intel Drives :P

  12. Tharaka Devinda Says:

    Took me enough time, they were kingston right?
    who remembers man!? after all this time!