What’s inside what? Virtualization!

I got introduced to Sun VirtualBox from friends at office. One being an Expert on ISP related stuff, he had a similar problem which I had. The VPN! And he had solved it. His problem was; when the VPN is connected, he can’t use the typical connection in the PC to browse internet. Most of the issues have fast answers to problems in the net.

There was another who wanted to keep the IT guys formatting his PC all the time and loosing data every day. He uses VMs to be in the Network Domain and use Ubuntu as the base OS.

My problem is the incompetency of Cisco Geeks! No VPN for 64 bit OS’s. The Virtual Box was the answer to that too.

So I installed the VirtualBox and installed my old WinXP installation.! (Yes I know its old but it had to do) On that, I installed the VPN client. After playing with the networking settings I could make the VM work just like it was a PC plugged into my router using the bridge mode. Now I could connect to the VPN at office and voila.! remote desktop to my PC at office.

At office I had the Virtual Box installed and there was an Ubuntu Box. So running Ubuntu there means I go through many abstraction layers.!

Win 7 –> VM –> XP –> Remote Desktop (XP) –> VM –>Ubuntu.

Feeling dizzy? Look at this!

inside

pretty amazing! :D

So Bye Bye OS-X for VPN!

5 comments:

  1. Indika Says:

    Man, why do you need to undergo this trouble for internet and VPN in parallel? I use fedora and configure the routing table simply.

  2. ravindra Says:

    Nice article.
    I think in windows 7 you can use XP mode for the VPN client issue.

    I prefer vmware workstation over virtual box ;-)

  3. Tharaka Devinda Says:

    @Indika: Well I'm not using an Open source OS as the base. Anyway, how can you add that route?? Which would mean you'd have to do it WHILE connected to the VPN! but after disconnecting??? tell me.!

    @Ravindra: Thanks!

  4. Indika Says:

    OS is your choice. I'm not interfering with it. But I'm not sure whether this is possible with Windows 7.

    Yep, as you have guessed routing entry should be inserted manually once the VPN is connected. In fact after deleting the existing default routing entry.

    But that entries are dynamic and only the entries related to connected interfaces are there.(I'm not referring to dynamic routing, what I mean is that the routing table is sort of dynamic). Once you disconnected the VPN, that entry is automatically removed.

  5. Tharaka Devinda Says:

    Thanks Indika. I will try that! In fact I can do it in the Win XP VM. I Have to use the VM coz Cisco's software does not support the 64 bit OS.