The use of an OS which cannot play mp3

I’ve installed Ubuntu loads of times and the experience I’ve got is not that good in terms of user friendliness. Problem Number one exists in it’s lack of functionality. It can’t do many things if the computer is not connected to the internet. I’ve seen this in most of the Open source crap OS’s. Yes, that includes Red Hat and Fedora.

Their Holy grail of problem solving lies with yum, apt-get or some other geekish term which the users need to connect the PC to the internet and type some stupid term or download from an array of packages which god knows what they do.

Their OSs might be damn great for stability. And the product may be the best one for the buck. But what if it doesn’t do anything.? You just splash the OPEN SOURCE banner at people.?

This is the best example I can give. After installing ubuntu, I wanted to test the speakers. This is what I experienced for Charith Abeysinghe’s great song “Sarath Sande” from Julia.

Screenshot

Screenshot2

Who the heck designs an OS without the MP3 decoder? Idiots of course.!

I’ve run Win98, WinXP, WinVista, Win7, OS-X 10.4 (Tiger), OS-X 10.5 (Leopard), Fedora 9 and none of those OSs told me this!

Ubuntu, if you’re the human technology, you’ve got to figure out that humans listen to music! :P

Posted in Labels: , , , , |

2 comments:

  1. Chamitha Says:

    i don't think this complain is fair.. they have packed virtually all posible drivers and all tht... it's just a matter of getting connected so those codecs will be downloaded in no time.. + for ubuntu also, I used VLC.. coz tht is THE PLAYER for me.. but for audio, i prefer itunes.. in ubuntu i used rhythm box...

  2. Tharaka Devinda Says:

    Packaging all the drivers is not an excuse for what I've complained. I'm talking about packing the important ones.
    they could've easily dropped geek services to pack these multimedia ones. Geeks can manage these things, whereas common people can't.
    Besides, Ubuntu has an African touch. When did broadband reach Africa? How would've those people downloaded the packages?