The Router...The IOS and a Bad day....!

It all started when I was asked to change the IOS of a 7301 router at Kotikawatte. I've done a similar thing on a smaller 871 router but this was diffrent. I was ready with the IOS on a Flash drive. But when I went there I realised that the 7301 did not have a USB port. So I went to the initial plan of a tftp server.

It all went well until I decided to reboot the router after copying the new files and deleting the old ones. Damn..!!! The thing did not reboot properly. Gave some crappy output and stopped in the middle of nowhere. I went nuts. There wasn't and prompt and I had no idea what to do. Then I realised that I did not set the boot parameters to the router. :P

FRAKKIT!!!

So I called Gayan and inquired what to do. He did not have an idea so he referred me to Naveen 'The router' Warnakula :D
He told me that I've totally wrecked it up and leave the thing alone till he can fix it. And he also said that I've powered a working router down by moving the power adapters :S
So I had to check that and recover that too.

I went back to the office with all hope lost. Another damn router down!!! and its all my fault!!

I asked from the guys what to do about it. Ranil came up with some google hits and even Gayan Aiya told me that it can be fixed. Sameera Aiya told me that "If you're going to let Naveen fix it, you'll never learn it, so go and try it"

My luck turned when my boss Mr. Malith arrived. When I asked him whether it is possible to do permanent software damage to the router, he said it cannot be possible. All problems could be fixed by those crappy commands he said.

So I went to KOT, armed with the printouts of the google hits by Ranil and my searches from Cisco's site.

Sat there with all the stuff, and started typing to the rommon mode the router was in (I was able to get the break sequence to stop it from stopping nowhere)....

 rommon 1> set
Some garbage appears

rommon 2> tftpdnld
 :S no such command

DAMN!!! I was half dead. The command set that I have brought was from another router type and this stupid 7301 did not have that tftp option to boot.

 And I realised I had also deleted a second file that was in the flash of the router, which was a boot config. It was needed to boot the router. This router is different from the rest I've worked with, there were two files, one; boots the router up, and the other; is the IOS. :S
For heavens sake, who knows ?

I went back upstairs to the office room at KOT, presented the problem to Upul Aiya till I also searched more in the internet for similar problems or guides.
It was my bad luck. Nobody was stupid enough to delete the bootup config :S

So After Mr. Upul went home, I had an idea.... The rommon supported a command called boot, and it took a path as the argument, maybe if I can put the bootup config into the PCMCIA flash, hmmm.....

I had the config files with me. I copied them to the PC before I deleted them..

So I went back to the server room, turned the rotuer off and removed the PCMCIA memory and brought it upstairs. There was a router lying there (another type) that wasn't even turned on or plugged. I turned it on and checked what was in the flash of that router.

One more step..I thought. I removed the memory card of that router and plugged in the one from the 7301...and plugged in the USB drive. (It luckily had the port)

Copied the file to the memory and turned the router off. I hurried to the server room again and put the card in....

rommon 1>boot disk0:somestupidfilename

YIPEEEEE!!!!! System booted......

So I went to the IOS prompt. From there, it was easy to copy the file to the bootup config and then rebooted again.

But there was a small error again..the router was in a mode called 'boot'. I called Naveen again. He told me that there was a mistake in my command that was given to boot the IOS

it was like this:

boot system flash
boot system flash disk0:filename.bin

the error? I haven't put a '/' after the ":" in the second line and the first line was not needed. :P

so here goes:
conf ter

no boot system flash
no boot system flash disk0:filename.bin

boot system flash disk0:/filename.bin
exit
reload

the damn thing booted properly at last....


I plugged in all the cables, gave a no shut to a interface that Gayan needed to be up...And came back home....

This is a day to remember...!!!

Blogged with the Flock Browser

Posted in Labels: , , |

2 comments:

  1. Chamitha Says:

    That's the way to lean stuff machan...

  2. Tharaka Devinda Says:

    Thats easy for you to say..I was as good as dead when I saw the price of that thing while googling for answers...

    its about $1000 !!!!